Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Hike to Dragon's Tooth

Last weekend the kids and I hiked to Dragon's Tooth on the Appalachian Trail. I did this once, pre-kids, ages ago, and didn't realize that the final 3/4 of a mile are more rock "climbing" than hiking. We were impressed to see dogs and small kids make it up and back just fine.

We like things a little more interesting. It was clear from the start that we had three VERY different "hiking paces" with Grant springing up ahead and Spencer lagging behind. We managed alright on the way up but on the way back we missed a turn and traveled a ways down the AT before turning back. Then Grant bounded ahead and Spencer and I missed another turn, adding to our separation. Good thing for cell service. Grant bummed a phone and called me and Spencer and I eventually made our way to Grant and we all continued down the mountain.

I don't think they will be in a big hurry to hike with me again any time soon.

My toe trail socks. I love them!







No comments: