Sunday, July 17, 2011

A day of adventure

Today the kids and I (Cortney) went to Wilderness Adventure at Eagle Landing in Craig County, VA.  It was about an hour's drive from the house and what a place!  I had no idea this gem existed.  They offer a ropes course, zip line, canoeing, mountain biking, kayaking, hiking, cabins, assorted animals, and week-long backpacking trips.  It was gorgeous, well-staffed, affordable, and fabulous!

We explored the site while waiting for our first adventure!  Check out the strongmen!






The zipline was $20 and crazy fun.  I captured some video and photos to the best of my ability. The kids thought it would be a good idea for me to video my descent. Good thing - my helmet tipped and blocked my view a bit! I think it's neat how we each had a little job at the bottom to help get the "zipper" unhooked.


camera was acting up, bad photo.
After the zip line, we ate lunch.  Grant and I packed and Spencer opted for the camp lunch. The lodge was beautiful!

We were the only folks canoeing and had a nice ride up the road to put in for a 1:30+ ride down Craig Creek.  It was a gorgeous creek and we saw a lot of fish, turtles, deer, and a family of young ducklings of some sort having swim practice with mom! It was mostly pretty shallow but with deep pools now and again.  Spencer swam alongside the canoe for part of the journey. He's an open water swimmer, that's for sure!


The funny thing is, Spencer has suddenly become the stronger paddler!  When we each took a side, we tended to turn toward my side and he'd have to switch sides and help me out a bit. All in all, we made a good team and enjoyed the paddle down the creek. We saw just a few cabins and only a few people, but otherwise we felt like the only people in the world. And what a glorious world we were a part of today.

Yes, I was there too!
We topped off the canoeing with some ice cream from the camp store and headed home!

No comments: